Hanging out in waiting area 1... Playing hoops. See the hallway??? I accidentally threw the ball down the hall and nailed a lady at her desk in the leg with the ball... OOPS!The Swarty's
Leah, Pete, Nora, Henry, Chloe & Hula Girl
Monday, February 23, 2009
The tubes are in!
Today was the big day! Nora had the tubes put in her ears. We hope the tubes do the trick. Nora did better than we expected. She was a trooper! Nora was unable to eat anything except Jell-O and broth this morning and that expired at 9:30 then she couldn't have anything, not even water. Let me tell you, our child LOVES to eat so this was a huge anxiety for us. We gave her a bath as a distraction, watched some TV and then hit the road. She slept all the way to Children's. Once we got there the thrill of a new place kicked in. Pete and I got our photo badges, checked Nora in and waited... Once we were called we went to the Pre-Op area where Nora got the once over and a costume to wear. We were also informed that the doctor was behind schedule (nearly an hour). As we were talking to the nurse, Nora kept going to the diaper bag and saying "nummies." We had to get our best distracting skills out! Luckily Children's has just about every fun thing for a child to play with in their play area. While we waited we even had a game of "hide and go seek" going on... the nurses got involved too! It was funny. Finally after a waiting, we were told we were next. We went over all of the anesthesia info etc. Then it was go time. Pete and I had to put on scrubs and hats as we went into the OR with the medical team and Pete held and I rubbed her head as she was being put under. I am happy with went with but it certainly was an odd and kind of surreal and sad feeling. They laid her on the table and said we could kiss her and they opened her jammies up and we were off. Within 10 minutes, the doctor was in the waiting room telling us how it went--GREAT! Then we had to wait for Nora to get up. As we were waiting, the volunteer in the waiting room had to use the restroom so I was in charge of the phone..... They called and said "please send out Nora Swartzbaugh's parents" I said "OK they will be right out." The volunteer wasn't back yet so I had to delegate my duties! Nora was doing awesome right away. We headed up to the recovery room and she plowed through several apple juices, the checked her stats and we were sent home. Now, I need to brag a little... Nora tends to do awesome at the doctors office all of the time (knock on wood). Our Pediatrician always says what a delight she is and she never fights getting anything done. We figured he said that to everyone. Well today, Nora let nurses (3 different ones) take her blood pressure as needed, listened to heart (3 different times), checked her oxygen levels etc. she never fussed. Well, as we were heading to the OR all of the nurses were telling the doctors how wonderful she is etc...Of course I am proud. Once we get into the OR she is calm and allows the gas mask on her--didn't even flinch. The anesthesiologist says "not only is she beautiful but she is the best patient we have had all day--I need to buy myself one like her." The other medical staff agreed... Then, as one of the nurses is walking Pete and I out she says "Nora really is the best patient we have had in a long time-you have done something right." How great is that to hear about your own child???? Then, the post op nurse brings Nora to us and takes us to recovery and told us that she was delightful and was being so sweet to all of the nurses while she woke up. They all had to hold her.... Again, didn't cry. I am simply amazed at what a great little daughter Pete and I have. She really is a sweet girl. We are so lucky. We are also very lucky that her surgery went well today and that we have a healthy baby girl.
Hanging out in waiting area 1... Playing hoops. See the hallway??? I accidentally threw the ball down the hall and nailed a lady at her desk in the leg with the ball... OOPS!
Hanging out in waiting area 1... Playing hoops. See the hallway??? I accidentally threw the ball down the hall and nailed a lady at her desk in the leg with the ball... OOPS!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
I am so glad everything went great! I have to agree, Nora is one awesome kid!
I heart Nora. What a brave little girl!!
Yay, Nora! What a trooper. You guys are so lucky, as is she for having mommy and daddy Swarty!
GOOD JOB NORA! GLAD YOU ARE BETTER NOW.
LOVE PEYTON
I am so glad that Nora's surgery went so well. What a happy little girl!! Let's hope this does the trick...Mama and Dad need a break!:)
Post a Comment