




Hula Girl, February 20, 2003 – October 1, 2011
“God needed Hula Girl’s help so he took her to heaven.“ Nora, age 4, October 1, 2011.
It has been over two weeks since Hula Girl’s death and I am still struggling to put anything into words about her life and about her last days with us. The content below is not the most grammatically correct or in the order in should be… the words are my thoughts as they have come to me.
On my April 16, 2003, my 27th birthday, Hula Girl became part of our family. When I came home from work, there was “spot shot” sitting on the kitchen counter and the cutest and sweetest little golden retriever sitting outside with a pink and purple bow around her neck. Pete brought home the golden retriever puppy I had wanted for so long, Hula Girl. Not only did I get my puppy but Chloe got a little sister. Pete and I were instantly in love with Hula. Chloe on the other hand, enjoyed her at first but after a few hours gave us a look like “when is she going home? She is really annoying.” Those feelings quickly changed and Chloe and Hula became the best of friends, despite the fact that they both had very different personalities.
Hula Girl was carefree. She just wanted you to be sure to let her know when the party started so she could be there when it started and to stay until the very end. That was the case up to her passing when she was lying on the floor in our family room with the kids laughing and playing around her. Hula loved to be part of everything. At dinner she would lay on the floor beneath our feet just in case something happened to drop her way. At the lake, she would be where the action was. When she wasn’t with the action, she could be found down at the lake and she would look up from the dock to the deck and give us a look like “seriously guys, its’ flipping amazing down here, get down here and play.” Hula preferred to plop into the water rather than jump for a ball or other toy thrown out for her. Chloe always beat her to retrieve whatever item was tossed unless Pete held Chloe back. However, Hula usually came back on the dock with the toy in her mouth acting like she retrieved it as she would steal the toy from Chloe after Chloe made it close to the dock. Entering our house was always fun. Hula would come to the door with a “present” for us. At first she would bring my underwear or bras but that changed once we had kids, she then would bring dolls, shoes, chewed up diapers, toys-just about anything to get someone excited about what she had. Once you grabbed it from her, she would gnaw on our arms. She did this for our guests too. It was her “hi, how are you? Want to play? Hang out?” Hula really was low maintenance despite having to pluck her eyelashes from time to time, bringing her to the vet for attempting to eat a wasp nest or having ACL surgery. She was the perfect golden retriever. As Pete said after she passed, “she died with dignity and grace just like she always had.” Hula was always my “protector” even 2 days before she passed when another golden, Marley was in our driveway and wanted my attention…. If she thought any person or dog was going to interfere with our relationship or if she thought someone may be getting too close to me, she would growl at them and show her teeth. It was a sweet trait but one we were concerned with when we brought Nora home from the hospital. Fortunately, Hula took on double duty and protected both of us. There were times when Nora was a baby that Hula would growl at the person holding her or getting to close to her. Speaking of babies, when I was pregnant with both kids, Hula (Chloe too) would lay her head on my stomach and just listen to the kids. It is a feeling that I will never forget. Hula also enjoyed lying on our driveway while the kids played. It brought such joy to her to watch them have fun and to enjoy the weather even if it was blazing hot or freezing cold. I hear chipmunks in the morning when I let Chloe out now and it reminds me so much of Hula. She would chase the chippies out of our yard and our garage, she would trap them in our hose reel and sit by the reel and bark and whine until the little victim would brave an exit. There are so many delightful memories that I could share. My eyes just get too filled with tears to write anymore.
Hula Girl’s life was cut far too short. She was 8 years old when she passed. I can still smell the scent of her hair and feel her soft coat going through my fingers. I still can feel her squishy lips being squished by me. The scent of her head and the soft fur on her head that I would rub my face into each day is the part I miss most. It was the last embrace we had, me laying on the floor next to her nuzzling my face on to her head and telling her it was ok to go, telling her how much I loved her, thanking her for being the dog she was, loving our family and teaching me that unconditional love is for real. As much as her death was far too quick and she was way too young, I am forever grateful that she did not have to suffer. When I am old and gray and ready to go to heaven’s gates, I will await Hula running to me so I can kiss her head again.
2 comments:
SOB!
My love goes out to all of you.
SOB!
I can still feel myself running my fingers through that soft hair too, as well as her friendly, playful gnaw of my hands, wrists and arms. I am sure going to miss HG and I'm so sad I didn't get to give her one last hug and smooch goodbye. :(
I'm happy thinking of her healthy again and jumping up on heaven's door, greeting all of the newcomers!
Post a Comment